Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thing a Week 18: Nothing in Particular, But Hopefully Entertaining.

So, I would like to apologize for last weeks post. It was horrible, and although it was timely, I was disappointed in myself and it. Ah well, can't love everything I create. And no, I probably won't finish the subject. It was something I was writing just to have something to write about, and I don't think the result of continuing would be worth the effort. Unfortunately, I can't really think of anything to write about for this week either, but I'm not going to make an effort to come up with a decent topic this time.
However, while I'm on the subject I'm reminded of something. I spent most of my life being home schooled, and at one point I had to write one page long piece per day on whatever I felt like as part of my curriculum. I kind of hated it, because after about one week my creative well dried up and I still had to write. So I would sit there, picking at the desk, and then dash out something I hated, turn it in with a feeling of intense self loathing, and then have to do it again the next day. The writing tended to be large, and spread out as far across the page as I could get it to go. I remember at one point I was reduced to writing about my bed, and then writing about it again a few moths later.
In hindsight, it kind of makes me wonder why I would do the same thing to myself (albeit in a much looser, more forgiving format) voluntarily. If I keep it up, I'll probably end up writing newspaper articles that have two day deadlines. The future looms ahead so cheerfully.
Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this bit, and I hope that I'll be able to start writing things which I find more personally satisfying. Also, if you look at the time stamp on this post, you'll see that I posted it like two full hours before midnight. It was a novel experience.

1 comment: