Saturday, July 25, 2009

Thing a Week 28:: Further Revelations on Super Heroics

I wrote a post a while ago on different awesome types of superpowers, and most of the things that I said I still agree with. However, as I have to continued to dwell on this indescribably important topic, I have decided that it's probably a good thing they don't exist. I'd like to say it's because we as a whole would turn them to nefarious, world destroying of pure black-hearted evil, but I really don't think we would.
In my experience, most people would simply act like jerks. I mean, think about it. it's like winning the lottery. People just don't consider the actual ramifications of such a sweeping development. At first they're all "Yay, i won the lottery, now I can be rich and happy forever", and then in three moths they're all "Aw man I lost it all to taxes and now I'm dying in a gutter alone and unloved". People who developed super powers might start meaning help defend truth, justice and the American way, but they'd probably end up shaking down the criminals they beat up for lunch money. It would just be too easy to abuse things like that.
I realize this is hardly an original thought, but what mainly brought it on was easy it would be to be a jerk if you DID decide to abuse you superpowers. Think about the kind of snarking you'd be able to do when you were fighting criminals!
"Oh NO, you bound my arms in three inches of steel chain, how will I be able to use my superstrength NOW- oh wait, it's SUPER strength. Wouldn't want to flex too hard, I might break these chai-OH SNAP. Too late now. Guess I don't know my strength, eh EH? It's funny because I'm about to beat into an unrecognizable pulp!
"StrongDude, you're kind of a jerk, you know that"?
"Hey, SHUT UP"

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment