Monday, November 9, 2009

Thing a Week 42:Robots!

I was thinking today, a habit that I've had trouble kicking in spite of myself, and I started wondering what exactly would happen if, when the robots take over, they have a high (or low) enough level of sentience to try to achieve culture. Would the culture be completely different from what humans think, like elegantly written pieces of coding, or would the new civilization ape its old masters?
I don't know, but I think it definitely be more entertaining if it was the latter, for one simple reason: I fully expect the main repository of all human culture to be Youtube by the time the robots get around to destroying us, which means that if robots judge our culture on some kind of algorithm using the ratings and view counts of the videos, then in all probability they will form the only logical hypothesis: Human culture is based primarily on omnipresent record companies, adorable cats, whiny vloggers, adorable puppies, pretentious conspiracy theorists, adorable cats and puppies playing together, Twilight fangirls, and more adorable animals. And mentos/diet pepsi experiments. From the hypotheis, I therefore posit that robot culture will pretty much be the coolest thing Humanity has ever been responsible for.


Ever.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's more likely that the robots would destroy us because of youtube videos. or at least the comments pertaining thereto.

    ReplyDelete