Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Still trying to Make Up for My Artistic Failures

Since I've been dropping the ball pretty regularly on my updates recently, I thought I'd try to make up for it with an additional post mid-week. The topic is one which will probably estrange three of the four people who read this blog, since they are all my sisters.

I'm talking about Twilight, of course. This has gone on long enough. It is time to stop. Pop culture, as a whole, needs to get over its collective fascination with sparkling angst-beasts, and move on to something else (which will probably be equally retarded, but will at least be DIFFERENT). To fend off any questions, no , I still haven't read anything by Mrs. Meyer, nor do I have any intention. I was embarrassed by the thought of reading it back when it was simply the obsession of every female I knew, but by now I'm actually scared to read it, lest I start mooning over Edward (He's SO supr dreamy, rite? lol), and trying to move to wherever those things live. Somewhere called Fork, I guess.

I mean, honestly! This has reached a pandemic scale. New moon SET THE NEW WORLD RECORD FOR FIRST DAY TICKET SALES. THE WORLD RECORD. IT BEAT THE DARK KNIGHT! This is no longer annoying, this is an epedimic, and I'm getting to the point where I'm tempted to start using traditional methods to cure the disease: burn all the bodies of the infected.

THE ARTICLE FOR THE NEW MOON MOVIE HAS MORE CITATIONS ON WIKIPEDIA THAN GEORGE WASHINGTON. I'm sorry to be the one to say this, but vampires, no matter how dreamy, are not as important as the father of the United States of America.



THEY JUST AREN'T

3 comments:

  1. Interesting choice of Dark Knight vs. New Moon. Why is it ok for a guy movie to set and hold the record, but not ok for a chick flick, hmmm?

    Other than that, yeh, you're probably right. I actually like them less now that everybody knows about them. Sigh. Nothing like being a geek AND a snob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that it's OK because the Dark Knight is recognized (by me, at least) as one of the best movies to be made this decade, in terms of depth, socpe, and (especially) acting.

    Twilight has a stalker who fell in a vat of glitter glue.

    I believe that the result is a noticeable difference in movie quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with robbie-it's not that its okay for dark knight to beat the world record because it's a guy movie (remember titanic?) but because in terms of story, cinematography, acting, morality, philosophy, and depth, dark knight beats new moon on every count. the problem is that there are a lot of people (teenage girls) that these things don't matter to at all. another (guy) movie with this problem was transformers 2. explosions and megan fox do not make up for all the problems with this movie...

    ReplyDelete